Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Great Island Hotel - The GALVEZ

People who know me well know that I love staying in historic places. I'm one of those guys that will opt for an old castle in Europe over a modern luxury hotel any day. When I can I try and stay in historic hotels or boutique hotels. When I am in New Orleans just for some down time I always try and stay in one of the small hotels near the French Market and Bourbon Street area. However, my favorite historic hotel is nearby on Galveston Island. It's going to be even better now that the new Pleasure Pier is nearing completion. The hotel of which I am speaking is none other than the Galvez.

The Galvez Hotel is one of the nicest hotels in which I have ever stayed. It reminds me of an age where luxury was expected and no expense was spared. You will feel like you've stepped back into the past, back to the days when hotels were not only a place to lay your head over night, but a fully functional social club that catered to guest like royalty.

The Galvez was built 1n 1911 right after the devestation hurricane that all but obliterated the island. Known as the Queen of the Gulf she is a majestic structure located on the east end of the island looking out over the Gulf of Mexico. The style of the hotel is reminiscent of the gilded age in which it was built and her rooms have been home on the Gulf to such illuminaries as Jimmy Stewart, Frank Sinatra, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson and General Douglas MacArthur among others.

With 226 deluxe rooms and 7 luxuary suites, a wonderful Spa Bernardo's Restaurant, a fabulous lobby and plenty of spacious public areas the hotel can meet your holioday needs. Add to that one fabulous Spa that includes a full-service salon, fitness facility, hydrotherapy room, Vichy shower room, couple's massage room, relaxation room, spa meditation garden and water wall, yoga, mat Pilates, and personal training. What more could one need.

Actually, for me the hotel is a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere that takes me back to a simpler time. A time when life was more elegant and slower paced. It is a great place to make your Galveston Island headquarters for a terrific vacation. It is also the perfect place to set the tone for a large ship cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment